Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Husband and Wife: OPT Client Spotlight




We asked two of our competitive bootcampers, Jimmy and Megan, to share their stories and success with us.  Below, they will be telling you about their annual weight loss challenge at home and their tactics for success.  We have been lucky enough to work with them both for over a year now and love seeing their progress!



Jimmy and I are locked in a tight competition, but we agreed to come together for this blog post. You see, we are in a weight loss challenge, and the stakes are high, folks.

Our couple’s annual weight loss challenge started last year, when we decided we needed a contract or agreement in order to lose weight. Last year, our agreement was as follows:

• We both had to lose 15 pounds from January 1

• If I lost the 15 pounds and he didn't,  I could wax his eyebrows and he owed me $100. (I desperately want to wax his eyebrows!)

• If he lost the 15 pounds and I didn’t, he could make me watch all the Star Wars movies whenever he wanted and I owed him $100. Yes, I don’t like Star Wars, and I know it’s a travesty.

• If we both lost the 15 pounds, we got to go on a weekend getaway to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC.

• If we both failed to lose 15 pounds, we owed $200 to a charity. (I know this shouldn’t really be a punishment, but money is tight, so this was serious stuff.)

Sitting down and writing a contract, and then telling our friends about it, really raised the stakes. And
guess what?

We both lost 16 pounds with the help OPT. 

This year the agreement has gotten even uglier. There isn’t a reward, only a punishment for the loser.


The 2013 Contract (Jan-April 1):
• If I lose the most weight (by percentage), Jimmy has to eat a vegetarian diet for six months. (I’m a veg head.)

• If Jimmy loses the most weight (again, by percentage), I have to attend and watch any and all
sporting events of his choice for six months. (I don’t do sports.)

As you can see, the stakes are high, which is why we both have ramped up our workouts and tightened our diets. For the most part, we encourage each other to follow the righteous path, but we can’t help occasionally encouraging one another to have a little extra cheese. We’re both too stubborn for those tactics to work, though.

So, here’s how we’ve each approached the challenge this year (and we are both losing weight; this competition is fierce).

Jimmy’s tactics (written by Jimmy): My strategy has shifted several times since January 1. What I’ve settled on is a daily regimen that’s heavy on cardio and water, light on meats and other fatty foods. Each weekday, I do an hour of lunchtime cardio (usually a mix of running and biking), and I try squeeze in some extra calorie-burning with long walks. On weekends, I also do at least one five-mile run. I also go to OPT boot camps as my work schedule allows. I can’t let Megan be the only one to benefit from Dani and Katherine’s butt-kickings.

Megan’s tactics: I bought three months of unlimited classes at OPT, and I have been attending a minimum of four classes each week. I do bootcamp and kickboxing, and then usually fill in with a day of cardio on my own. The bootcamp classes mix cardio with muscle building and the kickboxing burns major calories. OPT has been key to my weight loss. I need variety, and OPT has kept me from falling off the wagon because I never know what the next workout will bring. I am also participating in the 90-Day Challenge with OPT, and the support I receive from the trainers and other participants has been crucial to my success thus far. It’s a team environment at OPT.

They wrote this for us mid-March before their final weigh in. It was a close one and they worked their butts off all the way to the end.  I'm pretty sure they were doing two-a-days that last week.  Anyways, while both saw great results, Megan came out on top....and Jimmy is now at Megan's mercy as a vegetarian for the next  3 months.  Megan decided to take it easy on Jimmy and give him one  'Meat Week' before the switch and she lessened the vegetarian plan from 6 months, to just 3.  

PLEASE CHECK OUT MEGAN'S BLOG TO READ MORE ABOUT HER SUCCESS AND HOW SHE LOST 20 LBS IN LESS THAN 3 MONTHS!  



http://figuringouthome.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/weight-loss-what-worked-for-me/


No comments:

Post a Comment